× Home News Features Shopping Housebuilding About Contact

The Benedictine priory of St. Mary of Hertford was built around 1087 by Ralph de Limesi, who fought for William The Conqueror in The Battle of Hasting and benefitted greatly following the Norman Conquest.

The priory occupied land between today's Hertford East railway station and Bircherley Green. The priory church was one of the largest in the country, with a nave of 87 feet. Provision was initially made for six monks at the Priory, although this number increased with time. It is thought that Ralph de Limesi himself entered the community in later life, eventually becoming the prior. Both de Limesi and his wife were buried in the Priory cemetary upon their death.

The Priory featured a water mill, fed by a mill stream that would have run south of the old river. Much of the meadowland and flood plains to the east belonged to the priory.

Hertford Priory grew in importance over the following centuries, with the number of monks increasing to twelve. St.Hugh of Lincoln, and Gilbert, Earl Marshall of England were both buried in the Priory Cemetery.

From 1219 onwards the Prior was appointed by the Abbot of St.Albans. From this period until dissolution there were 34 Priors.

Dissolution

The Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII in the 16th century brought about the closure of the 450 year-old priory, some say on 9th February 1538/9. The then prior was Thomas Hampton. who signed the deed of surrender and shortly afterwards the lands passed into the hands of Sir Anthony Denny, one of The King's privy councillors. The Priory was dismantled and the church fell into disrepair, eventually being closed as the parish was amalgamated into that of All Saints.

Manor Farm

The estate changed hands in 1587, in 1590 and again in 1617 when Richard Willis became the owner. John Harrison of Balls Park, MP for Lancaster, bought the land in 1637 and built the first house and the estate eventually became a manor farm.

Manor farmhouse The Priory Farm Manor House was built in the 17th century and demolished in 1906

In the mid-nineteenth century the land was broken up and sold. A woodyard was constructed, together with Priory Street and St.John's Road (later St.John's Street) and attendant housing. In addition, a new Catholic Church, primary and convent schools were established, a fitting tribute to the land's heritage. The church remains to this day but the primary school has moved to North Road and the building now a church hall. The convent school moved to Hertingfordbury in the 1950s, with the buildings becoming flats.

Priory remnants Stone work though to be part of the priory can be found in the churchyard of St.Joseph's Church in St.John's Street

Excavations in Railway Street between 1988-1990 revealed the nave of the priory and parish church. A large number of burials were recovered from the church and surrounding graveyard.

This article was first published on Discover Hertford Online
and updated for about HERTFORD in August and October 2024.
 

More features